Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's a Mystery

Kirsten of Through the Loops started a mystery sock KAL and of course I had to join. There is also a Ravelry group for fans of her designs and there are already over 1,000 members! No small wonder, all of the patterns and projects she posts are gorgeous.

Almost 300 people are participating in the KAL, so it's definitely the largest I've ever been a part of. I'm pretty excited about it, so far it's helping to alleviate any second sock syndrome. Because the clues are posted a week apart, I have time to work both sections of the pattern on each sock.

I am taking some liberties with the design though. Kirsten posted two versions, one with cables and one without. I love cables, so of course I chose to do that version, but with two different mods. The first mod is knitting a k2p2 ribbing as the background to the cable instead of the lace pattern.

Mystery Sock 1
See my wee cables starting in the corner?


The other mod is twisting the yarn overs of the lace pattern to tighten up the holes. I wanted to try this because after seeing some spoiler pictures, I do like how the lace creates a ripple pattern. Here's a good example.

Mystery Sock 2
Not much done yet.


I haven't knit enough yet to see how the pattern is going to develop, but I'm encouraged that the holes are closed up. If the 'ripple' pattern shows well enough I might choose this option. Or maybe I'll just end up with a fraternal pair of socks. :)

If the yarn for these socks looks familiar, you might remember my attempt at kettle dyeing yarn. I never posted a photo of the end result, but I ended up dyeing it one last time this past weekend to try and get more blue into it. It didn't turn out the way I really wanted, but I like it anyway. I call it 'Beyond the Sea' because it reminds me of the colors in the Caribbean.

Beyond the Sea
Somewhere, beyond the sea, somewhere waiting for me...


2 comments:

sko_G knits said...

the yarn is gorgeous!

Larjmarj said...

The yarn is gorgeous! I remember when you dyed it. Perfect for the pattern.