Friday, January 2, 2009

FO: Mom's Mitered Mittens

Mom's Mitered Mittens

Pattern: Mitered Mittens (May)
Author: Elizabeth Zimmerman
Source: Knitter's Almanac
Yarn: Valley Yarns Sheffield
Needles: Knit Picks Options, size 7
Started: December 2, 2008
Finished: December 9, 2008
Modifications: Same as last time
Ravel It!

My Mom requested a pair of these after seeing my own pair knit with Noro Silk Garden, so I decided to make them part of her Christmas present. She wanted them in all black, but as you all know, Noro doesn't come in solid colors. In searching for a replacement, I took the opportunity to try something new. 

Black Sheffield YarnI wanted a yarn with a high silk content, but also some wool for warmth. I settled on Sheffield by Vallen Yarns from WEBS. It was the worsted weight yarn with the highest silk content they offered, although it wasn't until I placed the order that I realized that NSG is mostly silk with some wool and mohair. Sheffield is essentially a merino yarn with some silk and angora. Dissimilarity to NSG aside, it's a really nice yarn. I don't know that I'd make a sweater out of it because of the angora (too fuzzy for me) but it would definitely be luxurious.

The finished mittens turned out really well. They'll be nice and warm and they look sophisticated enough to be work with a dressier coat. Mom liked them and put them on immediately after opening the box. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos other than the blocking photos. With them being all black, I didn't want to move them around much so they would stay nice and clean.

2 comments:

Larjmarj said...

Awesome work as always. I have yet to try an EZ pattern. Are they scary?

Jason said...

Thanks. You know what? They do seem a little intimidating until you try one - or at least they did to me. But once you try one and see how much it makes sense, it's totally easy. And for me, I feel like it legitimizes my skills as a knitter. Now I can't get enough.

The mitered mittens are a great pattern to start with. They're not hard and don't take very long, so you get that quick gratification. And the Knitter's Almanac is a wealth of knitting information.