I just tried on my nearly finished Typhoon socks (pictured in the post below) and sadly realized why they're pooling differently. You see, I started the sock on the right with a large circular needle and magic loop months ago, and knit the sock on the left using DPNs over the past few weeks. Since the needles are the same size, I naively expected to get the same gauge. I guess that's one in the lesson column for a) not leaving projects half done for months and b) making sure to knit all parts of a project exactly the same way.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Also, since this skein of yarn was extra large and I wanted to use as much as I could, they're the tallest socks I've ever knit. Which is tall enough that theyreally probably should have calf shaping. But, ugh, I don't have the patience to figure that out.
Now I have the unfortunate problem of deciding whether or not I want to frog them completely and reknit, or just live with what I have. I'm fine with the pooling/striping being different on each sock. The left sock is a bit tighter overall, but I can still get the socks on. What concerns me most is the tightness around the ankle and top of the sock. I'm not sure if blocking would loosen things up enough or if I need to find new gauge.
What made it easy to get these finished was a lot of mindless knitting during a grad ceremony, car rides and playoff hockey. I don't have much more of that coming up this summer. I know I'll prefer something more interesting to knit, so even if I do frog, the yarn's most likely going to sit there.