I've knit a couple inches since, but this is about where my sweater stood on Christmas Eve. In other words, unfinished. I was making good progress and I swear the end was in sight. What really screwed me was having to add about 3 inches to each sleeve. I don't know why, but the measurements in the pattern would've left me with the sleeve equivalent of floods.
I technically had the Friday before off work, but that ended up being just a cruel joke. I decided, after staying up knitting until 2:30 a.m. Thursday night, that I'd rather save my sanity and enjoy what little time I did have off instead of driving myself crazy trying to squeeze in stitches here and there. It ended up being the right decision, and surprisingly, this turned out to be the most enjoyable Christmas holiday I've had in a while. Whether that was due to a lower stress level from no deadline knitting or the alcohol I consumed, I'm not really going to question it.
I've got a little less than one full repeat left on sleeve #2, then these need to be blocked and seamed to the sweater body. The body itself is finished, seamed at the shoulders and blocked. All that remains is to knit the neck band. New deadline: New Years Eve.
P.S. Another good thing about not finishing in time: I would've ROASTED at my in-laws on Christmas Eve. Thirty people in one house plus the oven running all day... I was sweating in a dress shirt.
P.P.S. On of my commenters had asked, so I'll let you know the pattern is Man's Intertwined Cables Pullover by Melissa Leapman from Cables Untangled.
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
As promised, a current up-to-date WIP post...
A rare accurate progress shot
If you haven't been paying attention, check out what a fast knitter I am! This is the back done and front about halfway there. I wanted to get 4 inches done today, an inch at lunch and 3 this evening, which would set me up to start the neck opening. I did pretty well at lunch, hopefully tonight isn't chaotic at home and I can get some knitting time in.
I briefly thought about using short rows to work the back shoulder decreases. It would have allowed for a three needle bind-off at the shoulder, but in the end I just decided to bind-off per the instructions. I was a little worried the TNBO would stretch the wrapped stitches and be harder to fix if it did. With hand seaming, I should be better able to control that.
To finish the body, I'll definitely get into a 12th skein, but I don't think it will take all of it. That leaves 8+ skeins for the sleeves and neck. My next decision, which I just realized, is whether to knit both sleeves at once or one at a time. Originally I was planning to knit both at once, but if I were to knit one and find that it takes more than four skeins of yarn, I'd know sooner that I would need more yarn. I really can't imagine sleeves on a modified drop shoulder sweater taking more than four skeins each, but can I risk the alternative?
Somewhere in the back of my mind is a voice yelling that I can calculate how many stitches, in pattern, are in a ball of yarn and how many rows a sleeve will take, but oy ... it's making my head hurt.
This is actually from last week Wednesday, I'm hoping to have another update later today after knitting at lunch.
At this point, I was just about to bind off for the armholes. In fact, I believe I did that step that evening. It took me three tries. I kept binding off on the wrong row, which would have had me cabling on the wrong side.
I added 1/2" in length to the lower body. I originally thought I would add more, but I got worried about adding too much length. I'm assuming this will grow when blocked and I also didn't want to and length at the expense of using up too much yarn. That's the problem with deadline knitting. I want to have this done by Christmas Eve so I can wear it to our holiday gatherings. If I mess up and run out of yarn or add too much length, I won't have time to rip and re-knit.