Monday, July 21, 2008

FO: Koolhaas x 2

Orange Koolhaas
Pattern: Koolhaas - Jared Flood
Yarn: Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted in Glazed Carrot
Needles: Knit Picks Options, size 6 & 8
Started: July 5, 2008
Finished: July 10, 2008
Photographed: July 17, 2008
Modifications: none

Orange KoolhaasThis was actually the second time I knit this pattern, and now I see why Malabrigo is the number one yarn used. It is so deliciously soft, I can't stop petting it! And I love the color. I fell in love with it way back when I saw it on cashmere blend (where are you Dickie?!) when he was double knitting a pair of mittens. Then Grace knit a Koolhaas out of the same yarn and that sealed it. Kudos to Malabrigo on the name as well, just do a Google image search for glazed carrots and you'll see it's right on the money.

This project made for excellent vacation knitting, small and portable. I started it in the car on the way up north and also took it to the beach at Petosky State Park. It was probably the most relaxing part of my vacation, knitting on the beach. Expect for the part when the wind blew the hat off my lap and into the sand. Luckily I was able to shake most of it out and pick out the rest.

I love the top view photo, it reminds me of those closeup shots of marine wildlife where you have to guess what it is. Did they used to show those on Sesame Street?

I also knitted a black version using Knit Picks Wool of the Andes. It was my first time using WOTA and the yarn was quite a bit nicer than I expected given all the feedback it seems to get. I finished the hat back in March, planning to give it to my brother for his birthday. I gave it to my brother on Friday and he seemed to genuinely like it, which is gratifying since it is the first knitted item that I have given as a gift. I've knitted things for friends and family before, but it was never a surprise. Unfortunately, I failed to snap a photo of him wearing it. I suppose that will have to wait until winter.

P.S. - Don't forget to donate to Stacey's raffle. Entry closes August 8th.

5 comments:

Emma said...

Lovely, lovely hat.

Nik said...

Every time I see this hat, I'm reminded of my longing to make it. I especially like orange/rust color yarn you've chosen. Especially since my favorite colors are orange and red.

Jason said...

Nicely done, Jason!

Larjmarj said...

I'm gonna come steal that orange hat...oh yes I AM!!

Charles Cooks said...

Hello mmate nice post