Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Oh Yeah!


So I dyed my first yarn this weekend and Kool-Aid man was right there with me. It was pretty fun and I'll definitely do it again. It was also a lot quicker than I thought. I ended up dyeing the yarn twice to get a richer color. I started with Lorna's Laces in the Sweetie colorway. Here's a before shot:

first_dye-001

I got this out of a clearance sale at knit2purl2.com. She was out of the colorway I wanted and substituted this. Definitely not a color I would wear. Anyways, here's the result after 4 packets of orange Kool-Aid and 2 packets of cherry.

first_dye-020

Much better! I wanted the yellow to be orange - check - the pink to be red - check - and the purple to be a lot darker - check! I'll probably end up knitting this up with some black to subdue the colors even more (I don't think I could pull off orange, red and purple socks) and I think it'll look pretty cool. All in all a successful experience at the dye pot. You can check out more pictures of the process here.

9 comments:

ekgheiy said...

Holy s***!!! Kool Aid did *that*??!! Dude that is sooo pretty! Hats off to you.

*ahem* ... Instructions please.
:-D

Jason said...

I just followed the instructions at this link from knitpicks.com. It was super easy.

ekgheiy said...

Sweet! Thanks!! :)

Soxophone Player said...

Lovin' it. Sock would go with Matt's fingerless gloves (?).

You can get Lorna's (and others) sock yarn in ecru to dye from scratch too.

MotherHenKnits said...

Very cool! I never would have thought to dye something that already had color. I love the way it turned out!

ekgheiy said...

Yeah, I second what Angela said for sure.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't even look like it was ever the same yarn. Very nicely done (even if the colours are a bit hectic for me, hehe).

Larjmarj said...

The yarn looks totally different and much improved. I'm part of the Detroit area knitters group but I go to the Tuesday night group in Dearborn. A knitter dude! WOW! I've been trying to talk my husband in to learning to no avail. I also believe that we have a birthday in common. I just detailed my prezzies on my blog. Don't you just love knitting goodies?

Emma said...

Wow what an amazing transformation. I'm sure Lorna would be proud of you!